What is English Bridge Teachers Association?
English Bridge Teachers Association (EBTA) promotes and supports effective teaching of bridge. Its aims are to attain the highest standard of bridge teaching across England, professionalise the teaching of bridge; in order to maximise the number of bridge players. These aims are achieved through EBTA membership and the provision, to its members, of information, advice and training related to all aspects of bridge teaching.
Membership of the English Bridge Teachers’ Association, gives you a range of features with SAVINGS, SUPPORT and TECHNICAL benefits
Cost £45 per Annum
The EBTA Membership package:
- Generous discounts on Bridge for All materials - Recover your EBTA membership fee with just a few book sales.
- Free Professional Indemnity Insurance – saving you a cost of around £60-£80 every year
- No Fear Bridge offers free membership for EBTA teachers
CONNECT with us:
- Access to advice and support from EBED
- Include your contact information in our EBED Teacher directory (optional)
- Club Teacher Training course includes up to one year of EBTA membership, and is our recommended starting point for best practice in bridge teaching
- Full and Professional membership progression program
- Teacher Zone: our members only, online pages for information, advice and downloadable teaching resources
- EBTA Teachers Conference - usually held biannually. Complete our 2022 event survey (Opens in new window).
- Training opportunities - EBTA members are supported with continual professional development via online webinars, videos and workshops to help you teach in class or online
- Free licensed use of EBU Score
- FREE access to V-Blue and VuBridge learning
- Hand Generator program (an MS Word macro for creating and editing deals)
- HandPlay software (for creating, testing and demonstrating card play)
- English Bridge School - our secure Google workspace gives you access to enhanced features which are not available in personal gmail accounts
- Personal teaching email / Google account (your.name @englishbridgeschool.org)
- Access to online presentations with over 1500 slides for teaching use.
- Free online meetings with breakout room facility and generous time allowance
- 30Gb cloud storage
FOR YOUR STUDENTS:
- EBS relaxed - weekly online games (with Zoom follow up) for NGS 2 to 6
- Sign up your own students for a FREE one year EBU membership
- Extended FREE trial of No Fear Bridge and discount student membership offer
- Students receive the new online magazine Discovery for learners and improving players
- The EBED online Student Zone has links to some popular learning resources all in one place
Who can join?
Membership is open to all, whether you are an established teacher or newly interested in teaching, provided you are in good standing with the English Bridge Union. Initially, you will join as an Associate member, gaining access to the wide range of membership benefits.
How do I join?
For existing membership renewals: please pay by MyEBU (or one of the other methods shown on your renewal notice) - and not via the Bridge Warehouse.
For any renewals or account queries please contact:
English Bridge Education & Development CIO
Broadfields, Bicester Road
Aylesbury HP19 8AZ
Tel: 01296 317217
How much does my EBTA Membership cost?
The current cost of membership is £45.00
Continuous Professional Development
Anyone who is a member of EBTA is described as an Associate Member. One year’s free Associate Membership is also included when you join one of our Club Teacher Training courses. Attending this course will give you a strong base to develop your teaching skills plus a structured approach to delivering our bridge teaching programmes in class or online.
To become a Full Member of EBTA there is an assessment process which includes a bridge knowledge test, provision of teaching evidence and a lesson observation by one of our EBTA Professional Members or Teacher Educators. Once completed you will be able to use the title, EBED Approved Bridge Teacher. The Full Membership assessment is free if you have completed a Club Teacher Training course within the last three years. If it is more than three years since your course, there is a fee of £45.
The current procedure for becoming a Full Member is explained here. Online and remote assessment is available for everyone, not just those teachers who teach on line.
To become a Professional Member of EBTA, teachers must show satisfactory performance in a number of key areas, amongst which are ongoing support for their students, a commitment to help less experienced bridge teachers and, most importantly, communication skills. The assessment process includes a six-month Personal Development Log, which helps us to assess whether the criteria have been met consistently over a period of time.
More details on the process of obtaining Professional Membership can be found here.
Accessing the Teacher Zone
Teachers who are EBU members should log onto their My EBU Page, and then choose 'Teacher Zone' from the 'show all menus' on the menu bar. EBTA members who are not also EBU members should contact Lisa Miller.