From Bridge for All to Duplicate

Hi
Now that many of us are in isolation, as well as getting our lessons into some on-line format, we have some time to reflect on how things are going for our students. I am keen to learn from others about progression from the 2 year B4A course into club level duplicate having now almost completed teaching two courses . So I am going to pose some questions -here goes:
What percentage of students who were absolute beginners go straight from the end of the course, or during it, to playing
club level duplicate on a regular basis?
What percentage of your students play club duplicate after some additional types of play experience post course ( please don't inflate your success rate!)
Is the progression through supervised play to a reduced board 'gentle' duplicate the most effective way of making the transition to club level play- or are there better ways to develop in a group ( c.f. mentoring 1:1)?
If you run a 'gentle duplicate' type session is it better in a separate room to the main club session or as second group within the same room - or does it make no difference? (current heated debate going on in our committee about this)
If iI don't get much response to this post then I'll have to contact teachers individually on the data base and then not everyone will be able to join in - pity. Or maybe someone in EBED has some/ all of this info at their fingertips aleady?
Senga B

Comments

• Hi Senga
    I think without a doubt, transition with gentle supervised play seems to work. I’m afraid we don’t have figures. That would really need a survey! Perhaps that’s something clubs could think about i.e. a post course survey to find out how many from bridge classes are playing regularly, where (club, home, ...) and how often. Although this could be done nationally, a local survey sent out by the club or teacher may get more responses.
    A number of clubs are offering supervised play and I suspect that the answer to your question about same room v separate room will depend on the facilities available. Many use boards which have been previously played and Set no time limit for play of each board. I wrote an article for English Bridge last year (April 2019) about supervised play and it’s also worth looking at any of Tim Anderson’s article in English Bridge or online at https://ebumemberdevelop.org.uk/

• @Lorna_EBED said:
    Hi Senga
    I think without a doubt, transition with gentle supervised play seems to work. I’m afraid we don’t have figures. That would really need a survey! Perhaps that’s something clubs could think about i.e. a post course survey to find out how many from bridge classes are playing regularly, where (club, home, ...) and how often. Although this could be done nationally, a local survey sent out by the club or teacher may get more responses.
    A number of clubs are offering supervised play and I suspect that the answer to your question about same room v separate room will depend on the facilities available. Many use boards which have been previously played and Set no time limit for play of each board. I wrote an article for English Bridge last year (April 2019) about supervised play and it’s also worth looking at any of Tim Anderson’s article in English Bridge or online at https://ebumemberdevelop.org.uk/
    Thanks Lorna - I had thought of suggesting a survey of bridge teachers - but thought a post here may elicit some responses. The same room question applied to unsupervised gentle duplicate rather than supervised play which needs teacher input. Anyway - lets see if anything comes up

Senga

• Hi Senga
    At Bristol Bridge Club there have two sections running with an "inner circle" of gentle duplicate and a faster standard pace outer circle. It works well ans is just one session a week. I guess the choice would depend on the room size and shape. Bristol has one large room.