Continuing Bridge - the 'green book'

Hi,
I'm an EBED Trustee working on the new version of Continuing Bridge which will be published in the summer. I would welcome ideas about how the current edition could be improved and any errors you have spotted . .. all comments welcome - thank you!
Mary Sharp

Comments

• Could you please include the Hand Set No's on the new version.

• Please can you put the edition date on the cover the new Green Book - On the red book it is impossible to pick up easily which is the 2016 edition the 2019 edition - unable to spot the edition date on the 2019 red book. The 2019 Red Book does not appear to have the published date inside the cover unlike previous editions 2016 Red , 2009 Red, 2011 Green

Typo 2011 Green Page 112 Hand 2, 8H with N , to be 6H, and Hand 5, 4C with W to be 8C
    Page 123 Hand 2, 4D with W to be 5D
    Page 133 Hand 1 delete 3C with W (14 card hand) , Hand 4 change 4C with E to 3C (4C duplicated)
    Page 148 Hand 7 W change 5C to 6 C ( 5C duplicated)

• One thought... Why not publish the hands in word Macro enabled files using Hand Generator, with the bidding already embedded?

• One second thought.. Is it worth checking how many EBED Teachers still use the Green Book for teaching beyond Year 1 before investing heavily in upgrading it? There haven't been many posts on here since the original post three weeks ago.
    I don't use it because I moved to a 'Fast Track' model ahead of the EBED version.
    Once I've covered the Year 1 material I move to a mix of 'Supervised Play' with prepared teaching hands interspersed with lessons on some (but not all) of the Green Book topics.

• Here is response received from one of our EBTA teachers who says:

Having had teaching problems in 2018-19, we are looking at different ways of keeping our students happy, and so far, this has been successful.
    We currently have 40 students between the 4 classes, and retention, a problem last year, has been solved. Half the 20 improvers are playing regularly in the less demanding club sessions, so we are very pleased.

1. We are running 4 ten week terms each year, since very few of our students are affected by school holidays, so will start Yr 2 with the slower group around Easter, and the faster group shortly.
    2. We have 2 beginners groups, a day time one (older) who are using Book 1, and an evening group (younger and brighter) whom we have successfully fast tracked. We took 15 weeks over Fast Track rather than 12, and as they all came to us as whist players, that effectively means that I would have taken 18 weeks for FT. That is still a lot quicker than the traditional Book 1.
    3. I, with my children’s teaching background, have been teaching for some time ‘Preemptive Bids’ as one subject. i.e.Wk 2, 3, 4 =<10 HCP with 6,7,8 cards in the trump suit. They enjoy it, and it links automatically- I would suggest that the new green book does the same( I did it with my FT group).
    4. FT does not give enough practice hands, but I do not think that needs to change. I augment it with the Handbank hands, some of which are now outdated, but enough of which are fine. (eg HB2 Hands 1-3 would now open 1NT, rather than 1H)
    5. I think that too much fuss is made about 4.4.4.1 hands. After all, they only occur 3% of the time, so you are the opener, 1% of the time. Just put them behind you. Consolidation and improvement of both bidding and play of balanced hands(47%) is far more worthwhile and far more use.
    6. Awareness of UCBs is good, especially when playing in club sessions, so they are worth mentioning, but in my view, not essential
    7. SPEED and CONFIDENCE are the key to integrating class members into the club. This is achieved partly by having some slower playing sessions, and partly by more playing practice for the students. We have abandoned supervised play (maybe for this year only) and the improvers are moving straight into gentle duplicate (18 hands) which makes them feel like club members. Some of the survivors from last year are doing well, and 1 pair is in our Division 4 Wessex League team.
    8. For over 10 years I have taught overcalling earlier than Book 1 has suggested. It can be very frustrating to have to ‘pass’ a good hand rather than joining in the game. You have to do that with children, and adults are not that different.
  • edited January 2020

That's great feedback Lorna - thanks for sharing - and especial thanks to the teacher who submitted it
    I thoroughly agree with the speed and confidence point and partcularly value the gentle duplicate versus supervised play point.

• edited February 2020

One or two people say they have tried to join the forum and had problems. You will receive a confirmation email. This will be an automated message and can sometimes end up in a junk email folder depending on your own privacy settings. Click the link in that email to verify your email.

1. Cover of the book should be changed. I am currently having issues with students using different versions of the Book 1 and Book 2 and it is a nightmare trying to figure out who has what edition and therefore what page they should be referring to. The chance was missed to improve this with the new Book 1 but even this cover should be changed on future print runs. Don’t make the same mistake with this edition of Book 2 – keep it green but change the picture or print the edition year on the front
    2. Expecting the Teacher’s Book will also be updated there are errors in that which should be fixed.
      a) Lesson 27 on Landy is totally missing from the Teacher’s Book
      b) Page TP41 states “Hands P75 C13H2 hands 1 to 4” when it is actually page 76
      c) Page TP40 also has the wrong page numbers quoted i.e. P66 should be P67 P65 should be 64 and P66 should be 69
    3. In a number of exercises the students get the answers wrong because the dealer changes from one question to another without them noticing. This makes the exercise work a waste for training purposes. Could we not keep the dealer the same of whole exercise? Examples of this is on page TP16 and P35, P141, P147 of the Student’s Book
  • My considered and earnest recommendation is to introduce transfers at the beginning of the course. Any group that can appreciate Stayman should be able to manage its natural companion, namely transfers. It is invaluable for accurate bidding. Just like Stayman, it allows for inviting to game after looking for an eight card fit. It eliminates the dilemma, so troublesome for students, of what to do with a 12 point semi-balanced hand with a five card minor. It deserves early attention on the grounds of frequency of application.

At Beckenham Bridge Club, we used the BFA Book 2 but we introduced transfers at the beginning of the second year course. Unfortunately we had to keep this change in mind throughout the course and make all the necessary changes to the examples and prepared hands.

I realise that bringing transfers to the beginning of the book would be a considerable undertaking because of the consequential changes needed. However, I am sure it would be well worth it.

JohnE

• Here is another comment we received:

If it is a rewrite please could you attempt to keep the page numbers the same, if possible, as this makes referencing a lot easier if you have classes were student have been using the book for a few years.

Also is there any new news on the follow on from the Green book as NEW material and hands would be beneficial.

• Work is starting on the "Green book" and I am so pleased to see new people joining our forum and taking part in discussions. Your feedback as experienced bridge teachers is really valuable for us. Thank you