Midlands Counties

Just found these minutes

https://www.ebu.co.uk/documents/minutes-and-reports/counties-working-group/2019/13-feb.pdf

THE MIDLANDS COUNTIES WORKING GROUP at
Dunchurch Village hallon Wednesday 13thFebruary2019

6.IP reported that the EBU relationship with EBED was re-structuring, and that officials had met in January; future EBU funding for EBED would be partly general, but some of it would be specifically focused.
EBU raining in the EDEB for doing a good job???

8.RP suggested that the EBU Chairman (outgoing or incoming suggested by IP) might write a one-off e-mail to all members -primarily to encourage all members to think about what they could do to enhance the membership campaign through their friends, club and county -painting the campaign up as a positive opportunity to strengthen the game.
But not to allow access to Teachers

13.EBED:it was agreed that we lacked the relationship we need between the Counties and EBED, and with the arrival of new leadership in EBED, it would be opportune to use the next MCWG meeting as a chance to meet with EBED and work out the extent to which our missions overlap and how we might be able to help each other. It was suggested that the Counties bring along educators from their area to that meeting. PS will liaise with EBED about the feasibility of doing this.

Page 5of 5APPENDIX 1RECEIVED BY EMAIL FROM TIM ANDERSON : 17 Jan 2019>> in response to the question : were there any lessons from the Yorkshire campaign from things that proved ineffective?Inevitably our reports from Yorkshire focus more on success than failure. That said, there were certainly some things that were discovered to be less effective than expected.The most obvious example is leaflet distribution. Two clubs did widespread leaflet distribution eg 8500 leaflets were dropped door to door with poor response. Word of mouth, social media, community websites and publications are all more effective (of course they may be exceptions!). This does not mean leaflets are no use; it is how they are distributed. Giving one to a friend works, posting it through a letterbox with all the junk mail does not.Press advertising. I can't find a case example for this but it is easy to waste money. Very targeted local press is both cheaper and more effective, eg "community news" that goes to a nearby housing estate rather than say a city newspaper. Getting editorial stories is better still, eg a club which got a story about a member's 100 year birthday onto local radio with a pitch for joining the club included.Facebook advertising: not from Yorkshire, but I heard of a Cheshire example that was ineffective. In other cases it has been very effective, so what makes the difference? With Facebook the key is to have a clear call to action "Learn bridge now in Beeston -taster session March 10th", and to target it carefully for age group (don't be too ambitious) and location. Club commitment. Again I can't find a specific case but a club committee has to be solidly on board. One enthusiastic member is not enough. It goes without saying that there what works in one place won't necessarily work in another so local brainstorming is essential. Tim Anderso

Comments

• Very well done John. Good find!

Some interesting points in there and it would appear(at bullet 9c) that they agree with us that something needs to be done about lessons in the Laws of Duplicate bridge (see another thread on this forum). There is, as you have pointed out John, much info that maybe of use to teachers and Clubs. Shame they don't acknowledge that clubs need teachers too push for more members!

Now we need to find out more about the TAG.

Chaz

• Hi Chaz and John

I attend the MCWG so might be able to address any questions that you might have. The next meeting is specifically focused on Education, which we obviously view as very important, so any thoughts you might have would be useful.

One thing our group is trying to do, and have been fairly successful with, is to establish good lines of communication between the counties in our group and the EBU Board (typically one or two Board/Staff members make the not inconsiderable journey from Aylesbury or London - the Board are volunteers, remember - to attend our meetings). One of the objectives for the next meeting is to achieve the same relationship with EBED. It's recognised that EBED are doing excellent work and producing great material. Now what we're trying to do is ensure that the EBED strategy aligns with that of the counties or vice versa - the free places for clubs on teacher training courses is one area where this is working well and we want to discuss other possibilities.

Mike

• Thanks for this Mike
    We did have free places for clubs on the Teaching program not to long ago, the EBU have realised their error and reinstated them fairly quickly.
    I would love to know what is the EBED strategy (if they have one yet) and what are its action plans following on from this, I cannot think that it is all kept secret,just that its not getting to the EBTA membership
    We have heard that they are preparing a Book 3 any idea what is covered, Likewise a further Fast Track book
    Whats planned for the Students zone?
    I think the EBED are coming on very well but they need to be taking the Teaching fraternity with them.
    John

• Hi Mike
    I agree with john's comments. It feels like we are being told "you tell us what you know and we might tell you some of what we know". Things need to be a bit more transparent. I find it strange that the main recruiters of players are basically left in the dark as to the "members campaign". It isn't that teachers seem to be ignored but whole swathes of "active" members are excluded from information and input.

Has anyone spoken to Iain Dalziel to find out how he has used "bidding tents" or "Flash cards" and does he have any other "tips" to help students and teachers.

For too long teaching has been something to be "done" and not something to be "helped". Getting new books out is all very well but do they help the teachers and the students?

Chaz

• I'm nowhere near knowing enough about this to give any comment with any authority, let me first say that. It does seem to come down to communication and good communication generally requires good organisational structure to ensure that the formal and informal lines of communication are in place. It's generally recognised that structure follows on from strategy, so the question above about what the EBED strategy is is a good one. Again, based on very little information (my fault not anyone else's, I should stress!), I get the impression that progress and changes are being made in that direction. Sorry, not too helpful at the moment but hopefully I'll know more after our April meeting.

• Can you provide any more information about “bidding tents” please? Perhaps this is a good idea we can share.

@Chaz said:
    Has anyone spoken to Iain Dalziel to find out how he has used "bidding tents" or "Flash cards" and does he have any other "tips" to help students and teachers.