EBU Membership Development Site

Anyone registered to access this site yet. If you want to "find " the site it's on the right hand side of the home Page of the EBU (www.ebu.co.uk).

The "blurb" says "Bridge teaching resources and help on how to bring people from lessons, to intermediate sessions, and to full club sessions". Well to be honest as a new teacher with a class just finishing FastTrack I would really appreciate all the help I can get. No point in holding on to it like a precious stone. Leave it to long and it will be wasted.

Would be nice to know if the stuff there is the same or better than on the Teachers website and whether it is easier to "access". I can't remember if we have been told that it is there.

So any comments anyone? Will someone on the EBU give us a bit of a "direct" run down and "invite" us to be a part of it. Do you want Counties to "broadcast" that the site is there and get clubs and Counties to contribute? Shouldn't we be making use of this new "stream". Or is it just up and running and somehow I have "jumped the gun". John has already said that there just isn't enough communication of information. How about getting the Chair of the EBU to "kick it off"and give us some feedback.

Chaz

Comments

• Has appeared this morning on the main EBU web page this morning. Is it coincidence that David Emerson viewed the forum this morning?

• Very frustrating as the message, when you try to log in seems to be that you are a "club" looking for help. Well I ain't a club but I am looking for help as a teacher needing to expand the club I am in. EBU you are trying to be too "exclusive" why not make it easy for teachers (that you have recognised) to access sites that will be constructive to them. Most of us (speaking for myself) are up to our eyebrows in access names and passwords so don't need the "extras" that go with this. Let's have a bit of "joined up" thinking here. As the treasurer of the County I have to retain about 8 passwords and access names just for the EBU and County. That does not include all the personal passwords that need to be retained. And I am lucky I use to have a very good memory!
    Chaz

• Yes john just had a look at the main page of EBU
    I like the line
    "Read the first blog post titled 'Promoting bridge in your area with a dedicated web site'"
    So the EBU seems to be saying that the Bridgewebs site isn't good enough. What is wrong with it? Why doesn't it work? What improvements to that site could be made? Have discussions taken place with the owners of Bridgewebs? Are we solving the problem or just the symptom of the problem?
    I know I don't have the answers and I suspect that you and Martin are just as bemused. But it keeps us off the streets.

Chaz

• Hi John and Chaz,

As the Membership Development Campaign is an EBU initiative and not an EBED one, I'll make sure that your comments and concerns reach the right people at the EBU as they may not be checking this EBED forum regularly. The member of staff i/c of the initiative is Tim Anderson (tim@ebu.co.uk) so I would suggest that if you would like to have direct replies to your questions to contact him.

David

• So the EBU seems to be saying that the Bridgewebs site isn't good enough. What is wrong with it? Why doesn't it work? What improvements to that site could be made? Have discussions taken place with the owners of Bridgewebs? Are we solving the problem or just the symptom of the problem?
    I know I don't have the answers and I suspect that you and Martin are just as bemused. But it keeps us off the streets.

Chaz

Hi Chaz

There is nothing wrong with Bridgewebs, it is fantastic for results, news of events and all the other things typical bridge clubs do.

The issue we are trying to address is that for someone interested in learning bridge, many bridge club and county association sites are not well tailored to their needs.

We don't expect clubs to have more than one site but we do feel it is beneficial for the county, or for a group of clubs, to set up a site dedicated to providing resources and encouragement for people who want to learn the game.

This makes most sense in the context of a membership development campaign, which is what we are encouraging counties to consider.

That said, I think it is a great idea for any bridge club to have a look at their website (Bridgewebs or not) with enquirers in mind and make sure there is an obvious and easy route to finding out how to learn bridge locally.

We are all learning so your feedback and comments are welcome.

Tim
    EBU Membership Development Officer

• @Chaz said:
    Anyone registered to access this site yet. If you want to "find " the site it's on the right hand side of the home Page of the EBU (www.ebu.co.uk).

The "blurb" says "Bridge teaching resources and help on how to bring people from lessons, to intermediate sessions, and to full club sessions". Well to be honest as a new teacher with a class just finishing FastTrack I would really appreciate all the help I can get. No point in holding on to it like a precious stone. Leave it to long and it will be wasted.

Would be nice to know if the stuff there is the same or better than on the Teachers website and whether it is easier to "access". I can't remember if we have been told that it is there.

So any comments anyone? Will someone on the EBU give us a bit of a "direct" run down and "invite" us to be a part of it. Do you want Counties to "broadcast" that the site is there and get clubs and Counties to contribute? Shouldn't we be making use of this new "stream". Or is it just up and running and somehow I have "jumped the gun". John has already said that there just isn't enough communication of information. How about getting the Chair of the EBU to "kick it off"and give us some feedback.

Chaz

Hi Chaz

I think it's fair to say that we are not aiming the new site at teachers as such. EBED is the place for teaching resources. We are focussed on helping clubs to expand their membership.

That said teaching is a key ingredient in that and there may be some overlap in what is useful.

If you (or any EBU registered teacher) could email me with your request we'll be glad to look at it. It is early days for the project and we are still working out the best approach.

Tim
    EBU Membership Development Officer

• "teaching is a key ingredient "

Expanding EBU club membership how? -

Steal from other affiliated clubs – with no benefit to the EBU
    Steal from unaffiliated clubs- with no increase in the pool of bridge players
    Returning Bridge players – who will look for a refresher/supervised and social play first
    New Bridge players – will need lessons
    I suggest that Teaching within a supportive club structure is THE key to club development across country, and its the Teachers who often lead the way.

• Yes have to agree with you John.

Sadly teachers are not clubs and clubs don't always have teachers. And yet the EBU idea is to keep them separate.

Happy New Year to all our readers.

Chaz

• As far as I can see from the bits of the development site I can see, its all about new members. Should there be something about encouraging members to play more sessions? (Why do Teachers not have automatic access to the development site?

• I find your comment three above, John, very interesting. You're right that teaching is a vital resource (and the free places on teacher training courses seem to me to be supporting that view). But the interesting strategic question is whether the focus of resource should be on increasing club membership (affiliated or not) or on increasing the total number of players (there is a difference). I don't want to start a debate here but I don't think that question has been satisfactorily addressed. Whichever it is, one of the answers, and an essential one, is good teaching!

• I take it that the Development site assumes there are loads of ex bridge players out there looking to come back into the fold. Not seen any research about this but perhaps its on the secret part of the site! Otherwise its stealing members from other clubs or teaching new.
    My view would be the more Bridge players generally the more likely some will be playing for EBU affiliated clubs.

• I agree with that john. We have recently reached out to a group of "kitchen bridge" friends and have recently been asked back to help. Potentially we might get 3 of the 8 members of the group playing in an affliated club.

Our club has offered seminars to unaffliated members which might introduce those members to an affiliated club. Even if only two join it will have been worth it.

It is just the simple things that need to be done but unless people ask nobody says what they are doing.
    So more transparency, more listening, less telling.

Chaz

• Interesting point about the assumptions made, John. My personal view is that nobody is really that clear what proportion of new members might be "returners", what proportion might be new players and what proportion might be from non-affiliated clubs. As you suggest, Chaz, clubs "doing the right things" by running seminars etc is pretty much essential in ensuring that they survive and thrive. Take a look at one of our clubs, Bewdley, here https://www.ebu.co.uk/newsletters/?id=44&page=2